Wednesday 29 June 2016

Hitting the Gardeners Wall!!
(Mainly the British Weathers fault)

Oh no!! I feel like I've hit some kind of gardeners wall. I'm feeling a little deflated but I know some of this is not helped by the crazy weather! I work part time and can guarantee my days off are the days that are forecast the rain haha! Such is my luck and living on the North East coast always seems to be against us. I'm still plodding on inbetween rain patches on my front garden project. Half is now dug over so that's at least something!! 




My back garden however!! It just lacks colour still. I recently bought a fabulous Gazania, a fiery red Celosia, a ruby red Dahlia and a fuchsia. 2 of these have been destroyed by those pesky slugs they seem really fussy (contrary to certain beliefs!) There is plants that are just getting to bud & some look they still have some way to go! What's that saying 'Patience is a virtue' keeps niggling away but I'm so eager for colour to happen to lift the greeness up (maybe the sun dance needs to be done more) it's making me feel a little deflated. I wonder if it's because I am a new amateur gardener so working out what plants can carry over in the seasons to keep some colour going. (Any suggestions in the comments section greatly appreciated!) 




I'm trying to keep the momentum going and working out my next steps as to growing from seeds/cuttings etc. My problem is when I have an idea or a vision I'm like a dog with a bone and I can't let go  !! Maybe that's another learning curve along this gardening journey.


Ps: Us Brits wouldn't be Brits if we weren't hankering on about the weather lol! It's blamed for EVERYTHING 😂
Until next time 

N xx 



8 comments:

  1. I think that all gardener's hit that wall now and again, I know I do. My sympathies with the weather, which just has been just as bad here in London. You're doing well with the front, and as for the back I think that plants and colours will be a case of trial and error for a year or two. Happy gardening. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou flighty!! It's like a massive scientific experiment isn't it working against Mother Nature & seeing what I can grow to give me that colour!! I won't give up that's for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Try annuals like pot marigold, nigela, poached egg plant, and let them run to seed. Lots of colour and very cheap to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw they are excellent ideas my lovely Thankyou!!

      Delete
  3. I look for snails most days and can fill a plant pot with them. Trying to find plants that slugs & snails don't eat isn't easy. I put a fuschia (in a pot) into a gap in one of my beds and it hasn't been touched! But if you do this potted plants must be watered generously every day. I put some annuals in a trough on my low wall recently, the marigolds were completely eaten overnight but the lobelia and other plants were untouched. Good luck experimenting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those gardener woes isn't it where I have to grin & bear it & just keep going out to remove as many as I can! I'm immensely proud of little things & look forward to bigger & better success :) Thankyou for the support xx

      Delete
  4. I was having a conversation on Twitter about this yesterday, and I think a general lack of motivation to get out and garden is quite widespread at the moment! Not only has the weather been generally pants, but it's easy to feel like the garden has run away with you at this time of year, especially if you've been on your holidays and come back to a jungle. So you're not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! Thankyou for your comment. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. It can feel like that sometimes but it's certainly been a tough little year so far x

      Delete